Friday, April 19, 2013

On Purpose

I saw another blog that had something like this and I like the idea, so, as they say in creative writing classes...  steal, steal, steal.  What I want to make is a list of accomplishments to strive for over the next year.  Maybe having something as such in writing will help.  And since there's power in the number seven (seven kingdoms, seven gods, seven satrapies, seven colors, seven great purposes, seven elevens, seven dwarves, seven chipmunks twirlin' on a branch eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch), I shall have my own seven purposes.  They tell you goals should be specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely.  I probably won't hit all of those as some of these are more vague notions than SMART goals, but without further ado...

1.  Be a better father
This is not to say I am a bad father, but this will probably tie into some of the other items on the list (watch less TV didn't end up making the list...  so...  just read on).  I have the propensity to take the easy way out of things, and thus the kids probably watch more TV than they should.  So, in this will be - less TV, more interactive playing, reading, etc.

2.  Be a better husband
I would like to start dating my wife again.  Over time, and with the addition of children, careers, responsibilities, chores, hobbies, etc. it is easy to start taking things for granted.  Daily life falls into a rhythm, and the spark that brought it all together sometimes falls to the background, sometimes in a slow fade, other times in a ball of fire.  LionEyes and I are in the process of buying a new house, and maybe it is a time to start things with a clean slate...  to make each other a higher priority again.  
    (brownie points for picture choice?)

3.  Read more (at least more than last year)
Entertainment has been mindless for too long.  As it stands, I am on pace to exceed last year (and the year before that...  since there's the fun discrepancy of I read more books last year, but more pages the prior year).  I should pass both with so many things to look forward to...  NOS4A2, Joyland, Abaddon's Gate, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Codex Born, The Republic of Thieves, Steelheart, and that's not counting all the prior year books I never got to.  

4.  Go on a trip
Note, plans to go to Disney were postponed due to the aforementioned home purchase.  So, this needn't be a major trip, and likely this will include two - as it should be something with LionEyes alone, and something with Munchkin and Peanut coming along, but away from home for a long day or an overnight just as an escape from the routine.  

5.  Add 50,000 words to work in progress
This may be lofty considering I've been frozen at 3,000 for near a month now and requires my getting on the Naming issue (and considering the overall goal is really over the 100,000 mark).  I would like to write a novel length work one day, and the only way to do that is one word at a time.

6.  Get a tattoo
For me, my family, and my lifestyle, this is sadly the most controversial goal.  Also, this is probably the least likely to occur due to my own chronic indecision on placement (currently bouncing back and forth between forearm and inner bicep) and design.  No, I will not share my thoughts on design as I don't want any outside influence to sway me one way or another (though LionEyes would be allowed a say more likely than not).

7.  Take more pictures
I suppose this includes buying a camera as pictures off the iPhone that look great on the computer tend to be rather fuzzy when printed out.  Pictures of the Munchkin and Peanut, of LionEyes and myself, of us all, of our home, of our neighborhood, scenery...  food (why not?).  I'm slowly reverting back to being a more physical person (holding an actual picture, book, etc. instead of digital...  though I will continue with e-books for the foreseeable future - not counting Joyland - thanks Stephen King).  LionEyes has already been researching cameras, so hopefully this can begin soon.

Now to try to remember to come back to this list as things are accomplished, or just require further reflection...

2 comments: