Sunday, July 28, 2013

On Sharknado

You knew this post was coming.

LionEyes and I decided to forego renting a new movie for the evening from one of those boxes the color of red that have sprung up in just about any supermarket these days, chancing that we would find something watchable on TV.  Upon CrabCake's and Peanut's bedtimes we did a thorough channel scan.  Over 1,000 channels of nothing we want to watch.  One channel was showing the third X-Men flick, but I just had no interest in re-watching that ("I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" /sigh).  But, alas, a current of hope in an ocean of despair - Sharknado would be on in an hour.

I had missed the initial airing of Sharknado on Syfy (I still hate the changed channel name - Syfy), but had marked my calendar for August 22nd (when I thought a subsequent airing would take place based on review of The Guide).  So I set the DVR to record, reading until a half an hour or so past the show's start-time (need that commercial fast-forward ability).  We grabbed some nachos, some salsa verde, and readied ourselves for the bad.

Sharknado was everything I expected it to be.  Completely over-the-top, relentless shark action, inconsistent (at best) filmography, horrendous CGI, and one-note characters.  But, there's a sharknado - no, there's three sharknados!  And what better defense against airborne sharks than a chainsaw?!


The sky would be dark, cloudy, rainy, one moment, and when cut to the next character in the dialogue, the backdrop would be bright and sunny.  LE commented on this and my only thought was - there are sharks in the streets, flying through the air, and this is what bothers you?  Water depths would have half submerged a school bus in one scene, but cars and SUVs are driving by the next.  Sharks swimming in the streets attacking the moving vehicles.

I'm not painting the best picture.  If you're going to watch a movie named Sharknado, you likely know what you're getting yourself into.  And I've stated in previous entries that the best campy movies are the ones that have no intention of being taken seriously.  Sharknado fits this perfectly.  The action is non-stop.  The sharks are ridiculous.  Hell, the plan to resolve the situation (spoiler warning) to use a helicopter to drop bombs into the sharknados is complete nonsense.  Continuing in spoiler territory - the scene posted above - Fin (yes, the main character's name is Fin) is swallowed by the pictured shark, only to cut his way out of it with the chainsaw.  And guess what, this is the same shark that swallowed his maybe girlfriend earlier, and she's ok.  How can you do anything but laugh?

To add to the viewing pleasure, during the re-airing of Sharknado, SyFy streamed in various places, the tweets of fans as a contest to name the forthcoming sequel.  The puns flew as people suggested The Jawsey Shore, etc.  One request was for Sharks on a Train (further requesting Samuel L. Jackson as star).  I opted to go a different route, and followed in SyFy's own path of pitting abnormal aquatic beasts against each other and suggested Sharknado vs. Crocaquake.

Make it happen SyFy Movies.

8 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this movie. I mean it was a total cheese-fest but who cares. I laughed... I screamed out... I rolled my eyes. I had emotions. So much more then I've been getting from a lot of TV shows and movies lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly laughed, but that's really all I wanted. LE commented a few minutes into the movie that it was already better than A Good Day to Die Hard. Is it sad that I'm finding it hard to disagree, even after watching the whole movie?

      Delete
  2. I guess you'll be waiting for the upcoming "Ghost Shark" then.

    I'd watch Sam Jackson in Sharks On A Train (shouldn't it be Plane?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may or may not watch Ghost Shark. Haven't decided just yet. Suppose it will depend on if there's anything else on at the time. Or if it gets similar media attention, which it doesn't seem it will.

      I didn't suggest the Sharks on a Train. Maybe that person thought the plane was done already, so he needs to cover some more modes of transportation with unusual wildlife creating mass havoc.

      Delete
  3. I thought this "film" was hilarious. When he cut himself out of the shark, and turned around to pull that chick out, that was just the cherry on the top of the crappy movie sundae for me. And of course there were kids stranded in that bus! Thank God that guy randomly has a bunch of rock climbing gear in his car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rock climbing gear was great. As soon as they were all up top, did you not just say, "and here is where the bus driver eats it"? But in these types of movies that predictability isn't a bad thing.

      Delete
  4. While I realize this film is terrible I still want to check it out. This was actually playing on the big screen near us last Friday but I had a previous engagement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know I'd pay to see it on a big screen. But it was a good laugh sitting at home with nachos and company to MST3K it with.

      Delete